If you’re looking to jazz up your regular whitefish dinner, look no further! I was inspired to create this delicious dish a few years ago, after seeing it at a restaurant. Someone else at my table ordered Fish in a Foil Packet, but I did not taste it because the restaurant could not confirm if the dish was Gluten Free. As is typical when I see something in a restaurant that I cannot taste, I go home and take a stab at it myself! I definitely changed things up though by adding colorful bell peppers, artichokes, and herbs. Plus I include rice right inside the packet to soak up all the amazing flavors of the sauce.
It’s important to cook the rice al dente, otherwise it will turn to mush as it continues to cook in the packet. So I prepare the rice then set it aside while the veggies cook. I start by sauteing the peppers and onions until they turn a light golden brown. Then I add the artichokes, wine, chicken broth, and the juice from a can of diced tomatoes. Now the fun begins!
It’s time to layer the ingredients inside the foil packet. I have made this as individual packets for each person, and more commonly one large packet to feed the whole family. The rice is the base layer, followed by the fish that is then topped with the veggies and sauce. You can use any white filet of fish of choice. I usually use cod or Halibut (Skin removed). Next, I add fresh cherry tomatoes and herbs. I often add clams and scallops on top although not pictured in this post. Close the tinfoil to create a nicely sealed packet. The packet can be cooked in the oven or on the grill.
Serve this dish with a nice dry white wine and enjoy!
Fish Fillet in a Foil Packet
- 4 Srvgs Prepared Rice
- 1 lb White Fish Fillet Add shell Fish too if you prefer!
- 2 Colorful Bell Peppers
- 1 Med Vadalia Onion
- 1 Can Artichoke Hearts, quartered
- 2 Tbs Olive Oil
- 1/3 Cup Dry White Wine
- 1/2 Cup Chicken Broth
- Juice from a can of diced tomatoes
- A handful of cherry tomatoes
- A few Sprigs of Thyme and Rosemary
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Prepare the rice according to package directions but turn the rice off and set aside before it is fully cooked. The rice will continue to cook in the foil later
- Slice onions and peppers
- Heat skillet on medium heat, add olive oil
- Saute onions and peppers until they turn slightly golden-brown, adding salt and pepper as you go
- Deglaze with the white wine
- Add the quartered artichoke hearts and stir
- Add the chicken broth and juice from the diced tomatoes, and let simmer 5 minutes. You could always use the tomatoes if you want. I don't because they can be overpowering. I just find a different use for the tomatoes.
- Slice the cherry tomatoes in half
- In a roasting pan, layer the foil packet in the following order: Rice, Fish, Sauteed Vegetables, tomatoes, herbs
- Seal the foil packet tightly
- Roat or grill at 350 degrees for 40 minutes (check for doneness sooner)