An Italian Classic, Greens and Beans delivers a delicious, inexpensive, and nutritious meal! Oddly, this meal was never cooked in my childhood home, so I wasn’t introduced to this great dish until well into adulthood. Greens and Beans pack a hearty bowl-full of plant-based nutrients derived from the escarole and creamy cannellini beans. I kind of wrecked the plant-based part this time because I added Italian Sausage. I left some without sausage for my daughter who follows a plant-based diet.
This is a really easy meal to make. Simply Saute diced garlic in olive oil, add the escarole, stir, season, then add chicken or vegetable broth and beans. Then cover and simmer for a while. I always add grated Parmigiano Cheese and serve with crispy warm bread seasoned with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Mangia!
Greens and Beans
- 2 Cloves Garlic Diced
- 2 Tbs Olive Oil
- 1 32oz Bag of Esarole
- 1 14oz Can of Cannallini Beans
- 2 Cups Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parmigiano Cheese to taste
- Heat large skillet on medium heat
- Saute diced garlic until the edges turn the slightest bit golden, about 1-2 minutes
- Blend in the escarole, add salt and pepper to taste
- Add the beans and broth. Cover and let simmer 5-10 minutes
- Serve with grated Parmigiano Cheese and toast coated in olive oil, salt, and pepper